A Comparison of the FreeStyle Glucometers
Free Style blood glucose meters require the smallest blood sample size of all glucometers that are available today. These meters are available in a variety of sizes. The newer systems are called the “Lite” glucometers and these meters do not require the coding step that is required in the regular Free Style monitors. These glucometer brands eliminate some of the confusion for finding the right testing strips, lancets and control solutions by using the same products most machines. These monitor offer testing site flexibility and the ability to store data for easy sugar tracking. Free Style blood glucose meters may be the best glucose meter for you if you are looking for quick, simple testing that requires very little blood per sample.
FreeStyle Lite Blood Glucose Meter
This blood glucose monitoring system is one of the newest glucometers from FreeStyle. Features of the FreeStyle Lite glucometer incude:
- Easy to Use! The FreeStyle Lite blood glucose meter is extremely easy to use, using picture cues to help guide the user through the testing process.
- Small Testing Sample! The FreeStyle Lite Glucometer allows you to test a very small sample of blood.
- Easy to Read! This meter is very small with a large, brightly lit display. It also offers a testing light to illuminate your testing area.
- Fast Testing! The FreeStyle Lite Glucometer allows the user to operate the machine in a mode that eliminates the coding step of glucometer use. In addition, this blood glucose machine takes only five seconds to calculate results.
- Large Storage Capacity! The FreeStyle Lite glucometer will store up to 400 results. FreeStyle Lite is also able to calculate your average blood sugar reading for 7, 14 and 30 days. This glucometer also has an alarm system that can be set to remind you to test your blood sugar levels up to four times per day!
- Flexibility in Testing! This meter allow you flexibility in blood glucose monitoring by allowing you to check your sugars using a blood sample from these locations:
- Upper Arm
- Fingertips (If testing for low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, use only this testing site)
- Compatibility for Accessories! This meter is compatible with the FreeStyle Lite test strips and FreeStyle Lite control solution. Store your FreeStyle Lite test strips in a cool, dry location that is not in direct sunlight and always remember to discard your control solution after 3 months of use. All FreeStyle meters use the same lancets, including the Free Style Lite.
- Large Range! The FreeStyle Lite Glucometer can process blood sugar levels ranging from 20 to 500 mg/dl. Readings below 20 mg/dl will read as “LO” and readings higher than 500 mg/dl will read as “HI.”
FreeStyle Freedom Lite Blood Glucose Meter
The FreeStyle Freedom Lite blood glucose meter is an excellent choice of glucometer for many diabetic patients. The FreeStyle Freedom Lite shares many of the same features as the FreeStyle Lite glucometer. Features of the Free Style Freedom Lite meter include:
- Easy to Use! The FreeStyle Freedom Lite blood glucose meter is simple to use and helps the patient through the testing process using picture cues.
- Small Testing Sample! Like the FreeStyle Lite, FreeStyle Freedom Lite boasts one of the smallest blood samples on the market, needing only 0.3 microliters of blood per test. That’s equal to the size of a pinhead!
- Easy to Read! The Free Style Freedom Lite is very similar to Free Style Lite Blood Glucose Meter except that this machine has larger buttons to help usability. This glucometer also has a large, lit display and testing light.
- Fast Testing! The Free Style Freedom Lite also eliminates the need for the coding step when preparing your glucometer, allowing for quick testing with meals and with diabetic snacks. In addition, this meter requires only five seconds to complete testing and produce an accurate reading.
- Large Storage Capacity! This meter has a memory system that will store up to 400 results and will calculate your average blood sugar of 7, 14 and 30 days.
- Long Battery Life! This machine will perform approximately 1000 tests on one battery, twice the number that the FreeStyle Lite will complete! This glucometer also has an alarm system that can be set to remind you to test your blood sugar levels up to four times per day!
- Flexibility in Testing! The FreeStyle Freedom Lite also allows for the patient to check blood sugar readings in multiple locations, such as:
- Upper Arm
- Fingers (Use the finger tip for testing if you suspect low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia.)
- Compatibility for Accessories! The FreeStyle Freedom Lite uses the FreeStyle Lite test strips, FreeStyle Lite control solution and FreeStyle lancets.
- Large Range! The FreeStyle Freedom Lite has a blood sugar testing range of 20 to 500 mg/dl.
Free Style Freedom Glucose Meter
This blood glucose meter is similar to Free Style Freedom Lite but it has a smaller memory capacity, storing only 250 results, and it requires coding prior to use.
- Easy to Use! Like all FreeStyle products, this glucometer is very easy to use.
- Small Testing Sample! The FreeStyle Freedom glucometer requires the smallest testing sample, needing only 0.3 microliters of blood.
- Easy to Read! The FreeStyle Freedom offers a large result display area.
- Fast Testing! FreeStyle Freedom will display your testing results within five seconds!
- Ability to Store Data! The FreeStyle Freedom has a memory system that stores up to 250 results and is able to calculate your average blood glucose readings for 7, 14 and 30 days!
- Long Battery Life! The FreeStyle Freedom will perform 1000 tests before requiring a change of battery.
- Flexibility in Testing! Like other FreeStyle glucometers, this products allows testing in alternatative locations such as:
- Upper Arm
- Fingers (Use the finger tips only if testing for low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia)
- Compatibility for Accessories! The FreeStyle Freedom uses the FreeStyle Test Strips and FreeStyle control solution. This blood glucose meter can be used with the FreeStyle lancet device.
- Large Range! This blood glucose meter has a testing range of 20 to 500 mg/dl
Free Style Flash Glucose Meter
The Free Style Fash glucose machine is among the smallest glucometers and like other Free Style products requires the smallest sample amount when compared to other brands.
- Easy to Use! The Free Style Flash, like other FreeStyle glucometers, is user friendly!
- Small Testing Sample! FreeStyle products are among the best glucometers for small sample sizes because these meters require the smallest blood sample, needing only 0.3 microliters of blood.
- Easy to Read! This meter has a large display area with backlight.
- Quick Testing! The FreeStyle Flash will complete the testing process and produce a reading in seven seconds.
- Ability to Store Data! The FreeStyle Flash glucometer can store up to 250 readings.
- Flexibility in Testing! Like the other FreeStyle systems FreeStyle Flash allows for testing in non-traditional sites, including:
- Upper Arm
- Finger tip (Use this site if you suspect low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia.)
- Compatibility for Accessories! This glucometer is compatible with FreeStyle Test Strips, FreeStyle Control Solution and the FreeStyle Lancing Device.
- Large Range! The FreeStyle Flash is accurate from 20 to 500 mg/dl.
Summary Comparison of FreeStyle Glucometers
Free Style Glucose Meter Comparison
|Easy to Use||+++ Does not require coding||+++ Does not require coding||++||++|
|Alternative Testing Site Option||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Testing Time||5 seconds||5 seconds||5 seconds||7 seconds|
|Lancets||Free Style||Free Style||Free Style||Free Style|
|Test Strips||Free Style Lite Test Strips||Free Style Lite Test Strips||FreeStyle Blood Glucose Test Strips||FreeStyle Blood Glucose Test Strips|
|Control Solution||Free Style Control Solution||Free Style Control Solution||Free Style Control Solution||Free Style Control Solution|
|Able to Connect to PC||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Units||Mg/dl or mmol/l||Mg/dl or mmol/l||Mg/dl||Mg/dl|
For more information about the Free Style glucose meters check out the manufacturer’s website. Not interested in the Free Style glucose monitoring systems? That’s okay! Although FreeStyle has many blood glucose meters, they may not offer the best glucometer for you. Check out other glucometer brands by exploring our articles about Accu Check glucose meter, One Touch glucometer and Bayer glucose machines. You may also enjoy using the Glucometer Compatibility Chart to compare your glucose meter with blood glucose test strips and control solutions.